1. Enable Passwordless in the Admin Console
The Passwordless feature is used as a backup if Active Directory login fails. It allows users to log in without needing a password. All they need is an email address.
To enable the Passwordless feature, head to the Passwordless page under the Configuration Tab in the Admin Console.
Simply tick the 'Enable Notification' box and Save Settings. From this screen you can also change the Default Application Name DeskDirector will reference in the email to the client (e.g. Awesome MSP Portal). DeskDirector will however automatically use the DeskDirector name you have configured at the client in this email.
This is also where you configure the email address and display name from which the email to the client with a token will be sent. This could be a valid address or a "no-reply" type address, up to you.
2. Set up Company Domain
Passwordless in addition to the Domain SID supports adding the email domain[s] for that client. This will be used as a method to determine which company the user works for and is critical in ensuring contacts are created under the correct company/account in your PSA.
- For each of your clients, under the Company Configs tab, search for their company, and click their name.
- In the window that follows, enter their email domain (e.g. deskdirector.com) and click Add then save. You can add multiple domains for a company if required.
That's all you need to do to enable Passwordless.
3. User Log In Process
After completing step 2, when users that haven't logged in previously next open the client (v14.3 or greater) they will be given a dialog to enter their email and Request a login token.
- They enter their email address here
- Then click Request Token.
- An email will be sent to that email address with a temporary token.
- They can either click Login Now from the email, or copy the token and paste it into the login dialog. The token only lasts 10 minutes, so make sure they need to complete this step quickly to ensure there are no issues.
- If the token never arrives or expires they can click Resend token
Once this is completed the user will be logged in and will no be prompted to login again.
If you need to log in as a different user, you can hold Shift while opening the client and it will override the automatic login process. Note Passwordless does not work in this case, you can however untick Remember Me and restart the client to have it remove the saved password.
4. User login flow diagram
The diagram below shows the login process when Passwordless is enabled.
Note the importance of having an email domain or Domain SID configured for your clients to ensure they are always able to login regardless of whether they exist in your PSA or not.